Today was a hard day. I had a hard time finding a spirit of thankfulness today. Even had the thought today of “all of these things going wrong, what am I going to be thankful for today?” Then I realized how wrong that was. Instead I realized that there is ALWAYS something, no LOTS OF SOMETHINGS, to be thankful for. Always.
Last night I watched a report on Hurricane Sandy. I totally forgot about all of those people affected. It’s easy to forget about others hurting, others in need, especially when I’m focused on my self. There is so much hurt, so much ache, so much struggle going on in those areas hit by the hurricane. How could I not be anything but thankful? How could my problems compare?
Last night I went to bed upset after a rough night. Shortly after getting in bed, I was woken up by Jack screaming. Went up to his room, tried to calm him down, but he was inconsolable. It took awhile– and both Mommy and Daddy to calm the little guy down. Tommy went to bed after awhile but not before he cheered me up some– he’s so good at that.
I stayed up with Jack until 3, and I had the thought during that time that this was just like our ear infection days. Turns out that’s exactly what this is. We had a check-up with our pediatrician this morning to follow up on Jack’s lungs. His lungs sounded great [ya!] but both of his ears are infected. Bad news– the tubes have fallen out of his ears. The good news– they did their job while they were in. We’re disappointed that they fell out so soon [after only 5 months] but it is what it is. So we start back on the antibiotic train. Again.
The combination of going to bed upset last night, Jack’s double ear infection, and sleep deprivation, proved to make me a grump and a half today. Thank goodness, I had a moment where I remembered all of this greater-than-me stuff and snapped out of it. So I guess my point with all of this is that I was grumpy, I thought it was hard to be thankful through struggles, realized my struggles are so small, but more importantly there is so much to be thankful for especially during struggles. 1q
So today I am thankful for:
24. Electricity. Our power is on, we have every luxury available to us. We are blessed.
25. Medicine to help this little boy feel better and a pediatrician who knows us and treats us well.
26. The ability to run on little sleep. Some days I get 8 hours of sleep an am exhausted. Today, after a restless night and little sleep, I am doing ok.
27. My family. Thankful for my husband, our Jack, my parents, sister, brother, and grandparents. They’re my favorites.
28. Leaves everywhere in the fall. Crunching with each step.
29. Being able to play outside after being stuck inside sick for almost a week! Oh the fresh air was more than refreshing and necessary.
See #1-23 on my list of thankfulness here.