It’s been awhile since I’ve done any type of recipe post or talked about vegetables or nutrition on this here blog, so I thought it time to do so.
One of the things I love about winter is that you can make lots of soups and stews that are quick, easy, and full of vegetables. It’s a great and easy way to get a lot of veggies in. Minestrone soup is one of my favorites. It’s got great flavor and before you even realize it you’ve eaten several servings of vegetables.
This recipe is from my CrockPot cookbook — it came with my CrockPot. So it’s super easy. Just get all the ingredients ready, throw them in, and let it be.
I needed the knife and cutting board for the onion and zucchini. I used big chunks of zucchini. I used baby carrots, shredded cabbage from the grocery store, and canned tomatoes, so there really wasn’t much food prep needed.
Everything looked great thrown together. And it tasted great hours later. Add some macaroni noodles and parmesan cheese and you won’t be disappointed.
– Lots of vegetables in each serving of soup.
– Beans are great source of protein without the fat of meat.
– Vegetables and beans are rich in fiber which has awesome effects on the body including GI health.
– Low-calorie, low-fat soup.
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 carrots, sliced [I used baby carrots and put them in whole]
– 1 zucchini, diced
– 1 cup cabbage, shredded
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 15 oz. cans kidney beans, drained [I used one can kidney beans, one can pinto because I don’t like kidney beans enough to do 2 cans]
– 32 oz beef broth
– 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes [I accidentally grabbed the diced tomatoes instead, and I loved how it turned out so I’ll probably do that again]
– 1 tsp. dried basil
– 1/2 tsp. dried oregano [I didn’t have basil and oregano so I used 1 heaping tsp of italian seasoning]
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 1/4 tsp. black pepper
– 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
– 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Combine all of the ingredients in your Crock Pot– except the macaroni & Parmesan
3. Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
4. Stir in the macaroni & Parmesan cheese.