Oh my goodness. This is my new favorite. It took me awhile to jump on the white chicken chili bandwagon, but not only am I on it, I’m waving the banner for it too!
This is so incredibly easy to make. It took hardly any time. And it is so very healthy! I made it on the stove, but you can easily put this in the crockpot, so I am going to give directions for both. Also, I am listing the ingredients based on what I used, but next time I make this I am going to double it so we have more leftovers.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
32 oz. low sodium chicken broth
2 cans great northern beans
1 4 oz. can of diced green chiles
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. oregano
a touch of cayenne pepper [optional]
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
1. Cook chicken breasts in oven. I used thin sliced chicken breasts this time, so I cooked them at 350 for 20 minutes.
2. While chicken is cooking, get other ingredients ready.
3. Add chicken broth to large pot.
4. Drain and rinse beans. Mash beans from one can to fairly smooth consistency.
5. Add beans and green chiles to pot.
6. Once chicken is done in oven, remove and cut into bite size pieces or shred [based on your preference.]
7. Add chicken to pot, then add spices.
8. Bring to a boil, then simmer with lid on for about 20 minutes.
9. Serve, topped with cheese and sour cream if desired.
1. Place chicken broth, beans [one can of whole beans, one can of mashed beans], chiles, and spices to crock pot. Stir together.
2. Add chicken breasts. [I use frozen chicken tenderloins when cooking anything chicken in the crock pot]
3. Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
4. Just before serving, shred chicken with a fork.
So easy and so good!
– Chicken is a low-fat and very healthy source of protein
– Beans are great for aiding digestion and are also full of protein
– This broth-based soup is low in fat and calories
– The spices add excellent flavor without adding any extra fat or calories
– Top with low-fat cheese and low-fat sour cream and you have a super healthy dinner!
This dish was enjoyed by everyone! Even the little guys we got to have in our home that night!